White socks look stylish in any closet. Their only disadvantage is that they get dirty. But this is not a problem: now you will learn how to wash white socks from dirt to be snow-white.
What Causes White Socks to Get Dirty
Before you wash light-colored socks, you should find out the cause of the change in their shade. So you will not only easier to pick up, but also to avoid similar problems in the future.
Most often the following factors influence the contamination of white socks:
- The soles and inner walls of the shoes. Poor quality or dirty inside shoes very often leave dark marks on the socks.
- Dirty floors. Even if you wash your floors often, your socks can get dirty quite quickly. In that case, try adding extra bleach or other floor care products to keep the floor cleaner longer.
- Increased foot sweating. In this case, the socks will get dirty faster not only on the outside but also on the inside.
How to Properly Wash White Socks in a Washing Machine
Many women think that they know exactly how to wash very dirty socks, running them for this purpose only in the washing machine. However, in most cases, this approach to the problem only makes it worse.
In any case, soak the socks before using the washing machine for twenty minutes to soften the fibers, and the dirt quickly departed from the fabric. Previously, you can rub them with laundry soap or add a little bleach in a basin. After that, they are rubbed a little and sent to the machine.
However, there are many nuances in the washing machine of white socks, which should be taken into account:
- To increase the efficiency of washing, it is recommended to put a couple of tennis balls in the drum. They will increase friction and speed up the removal of dirt from the fabric.
- Shake the socks before put them in the washing machine to make sure they are free of dirt, hair, dust and other debris.
- It is recommended that socks be washed in small bags. This reduces the risk of them getting into the machine system.
- Adjust the washing temperature depending on the fabric composition of the socks. Cotton products are recommended to wash at 60 degrees, wool – to 30 degrees.
- Mix laundry detergent with a little baking soda or bleach. This can help give your socks a longer life.
- Launder whites separately from coloreds and darks to avoid damaging the color.
- Turn all socks inside out before the washing machine.
Despite the fact that the rules seem simple and trivial, they are followed when washing is not always, because of which the white socks are gray, or stains remain on them.
How to Wash White Socks: Recipes
In most cases, to cope with the problem of dirty socks help its ways, as chemical stain removers and bleaches usually work only on fresh stains.
Consider the most popular recipes than washing white socks at home.
Citrus fruits are considered natural antioxidants, which is due to their high vitamin C content. However, lime and lemon also have bleaching properties, which is why they are often used in the home and especially in the laundry.
Lemon juice is used when soaking before scrubbing socks of dirt:
- Roll the lemon on the table, pressing it lightly with your hand. This way you will soften the fruit, and it will be much easier to get the juice out of it.
- Turn out the socks and put them in a small container of warm water (about 1 liter).
- Add 3 tbsp. of lemon juice to the container, and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the socks a little and send them to the wash.
You can replace the juice with regular citric acid. To do this, simply dissolve it in water in the ratio of 1:3. The higher the concentration of acid will be in the solution, the more aggressive and effective it will affect the soiled areas.
Vinegar is also often used in washing – both colored clothes and whites. In addition to removing unwanted stains, it will also help you whiten your socks.
Use regular table or apple 9% vinegar for washing. He will not damage or deform the fabric, but only help clean it from dirt.
Vinegar is also used as a preparation for the main wash:
- Pour a liter of warm water into a container and add a teaspoon of acetic acid to it.
- Wash the socks, rinse a little and leave them for 40-60 minutes.
- Rinse the socks again and send them to the wash.
You can use the method on a one-time basis, it is not recommended to use vinegar to permanently clean unwanted stains from your socks, as it can deteriorate the fabric and thin it.
Aspirin has strong brightening properties, so it is often included in home facial masks for pigmentation. However, the medicine is also excellent for washing.
The essence of the method:
- Grind 7-8 aspirin tablets to powder.
- Dissolve the resulting powder in a liter of hot water.
- Place the socks in a container with the solution and leave to soak for 3-4 hours.
- After a few hours, rinse the socks in cool water and wash.
Aspirin is a safe way to bleach your socks, especially if you don’t use it before every wash.
An effective, but rather aggressive way to clean white socks of dirt and unwanted stains. Boric acid helps to remove even the oldest and stubborn stains that cannot be removed by stain removers.
Boric acid is sold in any drugstore, but it is toxic, so be sure to wear protective rubber gloves before performing the method, so as not to damage the sensitive skin on your hands.
Boric acid is used as follows:
- Mix 1 liter of warm water with 1 tbsp. of acid and stir thoroughly.
- Place the socks in the resulting solution and leave for several hours. To remove tough dirt, you will have to wait up to 6 hours, in other cases you will need half the time.
After soaking, rinse the socks in warm water and send them to the wash with bleach.
Ordinary baking soda can also help you if you want to restore the whiteness of your socks, but it is most often used as a supplement to other methods in the machine washing phase.
For a whitening effect, simply add 200 grams of baking soda to the rinse compartment. During the wash, it will penetrate the drum and under the influence of high temperature and humidity will play the role of natural bleach.
Soda is often used when it is necessary to bleach children’s clothes, as it is absolutely safe and has no bright, chemical odor.
Video: How To Wash White Socks?
In this video, you can see the best tips on how to wash white socks.
Ways to Getting Rid of Black Soles
If the sole of the socks is blackened by dirt, it is recommended to bleach it with chlorine-containing agents. The means are dissolved in water, then soaked in the resulting solution and washed white hosiery.
Bleaching agents with chlorine may be used only for soaking and washing cotton or linen items. Such agents are contraindicated for washing synthetic and woolen items.
Get rid of black soles on white socks you can use aspirin. It is enough to crush four tablets and dissolve them in a liter of warm water. It is necessary to place the product in the resulting solution and soak it for 9 hours.
Black marks on the bottom of the white socks do not bad corrode boric acid. It is necessary to dissolve a large spoon of acid in a liter of water. In the resulting solution, you need to soak things for 3 hours.
It is advisable to consider the following tips and prohibitions when washing white underwear by hand:
- You should wash white hosiery immediately after the first wear;
- Wool and synthetics should not be washed in hot water;
- Do not boil white socks made of natural fabrics too often;
- Do not use bleach or harsh chemicals when washing white synthetic and wool items;
- When washing woolen socks, it is better to use hydrogen peroxide or baking soda;
- When washing white synthetic hosiery is better to use laundry soap or citric acid;
- When washing white wool socks must not rub hard.
Do not wear white hosiery with shoes that have a dark insole. It is not recommended to wear white socks on dirty feet. The shoes themselves should be carefully cared for by regularly cleaning the inside of them from dirt.
White socks made of cotton, linen and best bamboo socks cannot only be hand-washed with bleach but also boiled. The boiling method is not suitable for washing synthetic and wool products. They should only be washed in warm water.
White undergarments should also be dried properly. It should not be dried in the sun or on heating appliances.
How to Keep Your Socks White
To keep them always white, it is enough to follow a number of simple rules:
- Make sure your feet are clean before putting them on. A dirty foot can stain the fabric just as much as external influences in the form of dirt or sand.
- Avoid wearing socks in conjunction with dark shoe insoles. When exposed to moisture, it stains the fibers and the dye settles firmly inside.
- Try not to wear your underwear for more than one day, and wash it immediately afterward.
- Before washing, soak the laundry using one of the tips above. Pre-soaking often saves you from further manipulation.
- Pay attention to the label and the composition of the material. Wool, synthetics and cotton require different care.
- Light fabrics should be washed separately from colored fabrics. Even faded colors can leave pigment on light-colored fabrics.
- Follow the wash cycle. Cotton and synthetic fabrics are washed at a maximum temperature of 40 degrees.
Products treated with bleaching acid should be dried outdoors, avoiding ultraviolet light. The sun’s rays leave bright yellow stains, which are almost impossible to get rid of later.
How do you get white socks white again?
Common table salt will also be practical. Dissolve a tablespoon of salt in a liter of water. Then soak your socks in this solution and then wash them in the washing machine. And so, you will return them to their former whiteness. Nothing difficult.
How do you wash white socks in the washing machine?
White socks should be washed separately from the rest of the laundry, especially from colored socks. Before you throw the socks in the drum of the washing machine or wash them by hand, it is recommended to rub them thoroughly with soap and leave them for a few hours in water.
Clothes with heavy dirt should not be washed in very hot water, because then the dirt is even more penetrated into the fabric.
Do you wash white socks in hot or cold water?
Very dirty white socks should not be washed in very hot water, as the dirt may penetrate more deeply into the fabric at high temperatures. Boiling also is bad for white socks.
How do you wash white socks by hand?
It is recommended to soak dirty white socks in a baking soda solution. It is necessary to pour warm water into a basin and pour into it 110 grams of soda. Need to soak things in a solution of about 20 minutes. After that, the underwear can be washed by hand with laundry detergent.